The race starts in Magenta and in the first parts it follows flat, large and straight roads crossing the Pianura Padana and passing through the territories of Abbiategrasso and Vigevano and from Lomellina to Monferrato. Here, the altimeter tends to present a series of ups and downs. Then, the route implies some sprints for the places located on the top of the hills (like Lu, Altavilla Monferrato, Alfiano Natta) which bring to the final circuit.
After San Mauro Torinese the route coasts the Po in Corso Case in order to climb up to the Basilica of Superga. Then, the route goes down (making a deviation of 600mt before the finish line) to Rivodora with a demanding downhill which brings back to San Mauro. Then, the road implies again to climb up with gradient of more than 10%. The fixed feed zone is located after Fubine Monferrato at the 94-97 km of the race.
The last 5 km (which are repeated twice excluding the final 600 mt) From Torino in Corso Casale, where the climb starts, bring to the Basilica of Superga. The average slope is 9,1% with a peak of 14% in the middle of climb and long parts of 10%. At 600m from the arrival the route requires a “U” turn on the left to face the final ramp of 8,2% of slope. Finally, the last turn on the asphalt at 50mt from the finish line.
Magenta is located 20 minutes away from Malpensa and 20 minutes away from Milano. Borgo del Trecento is a town since 1947 and it counts around 23.000 inhabitants. It is the location of Parco del Ticino in Villa Castiglioni and the area is rich of nature and farming field and it conserves a forest heritage almost lost in the rest of the Pianura Padana. It is known especially for the memorable battle of the 4th June 1859, crucial event for the second Independence War, which links it to the Italian Risorgimento and to the Unità d’Italia. The battle of Magenta is remembered every year on the first Sunday of June with a party that celebrates not only the history and the culture, but also the solidarity and the fraternity between people. The climax of the event is the historic commemoration in costume. You can visit The Casa di Giacobbe and the Ossario ai Caduti which are places tied to the Battle. Moreover, the town praises a big vocation for the music with the Teatro Lirico, the orchestra, three historic marching band, many choirs and appointments.
Surrounded by the mountains that hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics, Torino is the guardian city of the origins of Italy. It was the first national capital, and is home to Palazzo Madama and Palazzo Carignano, the original seats of the Italian Senate and Parliament. The city is also symbolised by the Mole Antonelliana, which towers high in the sky.
Torino is a notable tourist destination, thanks to its many architectural landmarks and museums (the second largest Egyptian museum in the world after the one in Cairo, the Museum of Cinema inside the Mole Antonelliana, and the Residences of the Royal House of Savoy, which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites).
After the 2006 Olympics, it became a major seat for many sporting events. In 2016, it hosted the Giro d’Italia grand finale and the basketball Olympic qualifying tournament. Historically, it has been home to 2 major Italian football clubs, Juventus and Torino; more recently, since 2015, it has made its comeback to the top league in basketball, with the Auxilium Cus Torino team.
Many symbols of “made in Italy” in the world were born here, such as Martini vermouth, Gianduia chocolate and espresso coffee. Furthermore, the city is the major hub for Italian automotive production, it being the seat of FCA and of its brands that marked the history of car manufacture.
The verdant hills overlooking the city, opposite the mountains, are home to the majestic Basilica of Superga, the finish location of the Milano-Torino Classic. It is connected to the city either by the race route or by the suggestive Sassi tramway, which runs along the hill. The Basilica was commissioned by Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy, and designed by the gifted architect, Juvarra (just as Palazzo Madama).
This Baroque building houses the Royal Tombs, devised for the members of the House of Savoy, which can be accessed from inside the Basilica and can be visited during opening hours.
More recently, Superga became a pilgrimage destination for the fans of Torino FC every year, on May 4, since 1949. A memorial stone (which can be reached from the path running left of the building) was erected at the back of the Basilica, to commemorate the “Grande Torino”, the great team that fell victim of an air disaster on the hill of Superga, while flying back home after a game in Lisbon.
VIGEVANO – KM 24
This ducal city gained its highest splendour under the rule of the Visconti and Sforza families. Its cultural, religious and historical-military centre grows around Piazza Ducale.
The Cathedral, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, Sant’Ambrogio, and overlooking the magnificent Piazza Ducale – that Ludovico il Moro had built in as little as two years – is one of the major landmarks of the city.
Leaving the piazza, and walking under Bramante’s Tower, you can reach the Castello Sforzesco (one of the largest castles in Europe), which lies in the valley of the Ticino river and covers over two hectares.
The church of San Pietro Martire is another important landmark for the citizens of Vigevano: despite being less imposing than the cathedral, it houses the remains of the patron saint of the city, the Blessed Matteo Carreri.
MORTARA – KM 36
A hunting estate and leisure village for the Dukes during the Sforza rule, and a personal feud of Ludovico il Moro, Mortara was promoted to the status of Royal City by Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy. The village is still home to a number of ancient religious buildings, such as the Basilica of San Lorenzo (1375-1380) and the 16-century church of Santa Croce. On the last Sunday in September, the town hosts a traditional goose sausage festival (“Sagra del salame d’oca”), which takes place at the same time as a historical parade that culminates in the “Palio di Mortara”.
Every year, during the Palio, the seven city quarters challenge each other in a live “Snakes and Ladders” game, whose score is based on the result of an archery competition
SAN MAURO TORINESE – KM 169
This small town in Turin’s hinterland is home to a thousand-year old Benedictine abbey, the major historical building of the city.
The municipal territory comprises the “Parco Naturale della Collina di Superga”, a protected area established by the Region of Piedmont, with many trails and paths leading up to the Basilica of Superga, the finish location of the “Milano-Torino presented by NAMEDSPORT” Classic.
The park hosts some curious architectural landmarks, such as the Castle of Sambuy, as well as the Tower of Moncanino that belongs to Villa Lavista – an eclectic mansion built in three different styles: Baroque, Neoclassicism and pre-Art Nouveau.